Thursday, November 6, 2008

Post-election

Reasons for joy and hope.

A need to recognize Yes We Can can't change to Yes We Did (even though we did) - there is still so much work to be done.

But I think today it is important to recognize that OMG HOLOGRAMS.  Star wars is real.  Only, apparently that telltale blue glow wasn't real.  As in, the movies have so molded our expectations that CNN added the glow to reassure viewers that it was only a hologram.  Sheesh.

Finally, importantly - read this.  Just to quote part of the poem he has in its entirety:

Let America be America again.
Let it be the dream it used to be.
Let it be the pioneer on the plain
Seeking a home where he himself is free.

...

(It never was America to me.) 

O, let my land be a land where
Liberty Is crowned with no false patriotic wreath,
But opportunity is real, and life is free,
Equality is in the air we breathe.

(There's never been equality for me,
Nor freedom in this "homeland of the free.")

...
O, yes,
I say it plain,
America never was America to me,
And yet I swear this oath–
America will be!

No comments: